Review: Dark Waters

"Dark Waters" by Shannon Mayer

File Size: 377 KB (Kindle Edition)
Language: English
ASIN: B006R03B6C
Purchase: Kindle
Website: ShannonMayer.blogspot.com


This story intrigued me from the start. Especially the part about the two sisters. I loved the relationship between Quinn and Ashling, reminding me of my own sister as I read the book. I definitely related to Quinn, being the older sibling - the urge to protect and watch out for her younger sister.

The world building into the Fomorii and the Tuatha was developed well by the author. I'm sure we will learn more about each in the coming books of the series, but for the first book, Ms. Mayer did well bringing me into the hidden world of these creatures. She definitely set up the mystery and danger surrounding the sisters as they discover their new paranormal powers and how they fit into a prophecy. I hope to learn more - and get the mysteries solved - as the series progresses.

A lot of unanswered questions were left at the end - a great set up for the next book in the series. I was surprised when I reached the ending, still expecting there to be more. The book is a bit shorter than I'm used to and I wish it was a bit longer. It doesn't need more in the way of world building or character development, I just feel like it, suddenly stopped mid-story. I know many authors use this as a set up for book 2, to make readers hungry to read the next one (which obviously works for this book as I really want to know how it all ends) but I still felt a little disappointed by the abrupt ending of this one.

I look forward to reading the second book in the series, Emerald Isle, when it releases this spring.





Reviewed by: Anastasia V. Pergakis

A free copy of this book was furnished by the author for review, but providing a copy did not guarantee a review. This information is provided per the regulations of the Federal Trade Commission.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also read the book and had pretty much the same reaction. Love the world building and wished the book had a fuller story arc.