Author Interview: Darlene Jones


With blood on her hands, strange words coming out of her mouth, and her face all over the media, Em knows that she did stop the jungle battle, storm into the armed courtroom, face and defeat the zealot soldiers. But, “working” for the powers controlling her, she is haunted with not knowing about or being connected to her own life. And, at some point she will have to decide which of her two lives are her true destiny.

Yves, her controller, has his own set of problems as a rookie learning to be a Power, trying to communicate with Em, facing her doubts and questions as well as his own, and struggling to control the onslaught of emotions that arise from his association with humans. He risks losing his chance for advancement, his chance to free his people, even his life, by falling in love with Em.

In one sentence, what is your book about?

A woman’s life is taken over by beings “out there somewhere,” but the being in charge of her is a rookie on his first assignment and of course he messes up.

What gave you the idea for this story?

Laugh! I started playing with the idea when I suffered from insomnia. I thought it would help put me to sleep. It didn’t!

What is the target audience for your book?

Anyone who likes a good adventure/love story with a bit of sci-fi magic.

What have people said about your writing?

“what a different concept” “captivating” “serious issues to ponder” “fanciful, imaginative love story” “superb job of making two worlds seem real and believable”

How do you want your readers to feel when they finish your book?

I want them to feel that they have read a good story with substance, a story that made them think, and I want them to want to read the next book and the next.

What’s your next writing project?

Book 2 of the series will be out in a couple of months, then book 3 in the summer. I’m currently working on book 4.

Do you think books disappear altogether in future?

Oh Lord, I hope not. And I really don’t think they will. In spite of all the entertainment media available to us, books hold a special place and now with electronic readers, it is so easy to access books. I believe books will be forever.

The best thing about being a writer is... the chance to be creative. To play with story lines, to create characters you love and want to be with, to have those “friends” in your life forever once you’ve written their story.

The worst thing about being a writer is... You know, I can’t really think of a worst thing. I love it all. The first draft, the rewrites, even the final proofing!



You find a magic lamp, give it a rub and a genie offers you three wishes. What are they?

Ah, that’s a great question and the answers are found in my books. EMBATTLED really says it all. I don’t want to say too much more and spoil your reading pleasure.

Who has been the biggest influence in your life?

In my writing life, I have to say Robert J. Sawyer. I had the great good fortune to spend a week in a workshop with him. He is generous and a natural teacher. We learned so much from him. I’ve also attended his sessions at various writing conferences – he is simply the best.

Quick fire:
Favorite flavor of ice cream? Chocolate
Favorite place? Home
Favorite Book? Mixed Marriage (see my website)
Favorite book you've read this year? The Tiger’s Wife

Find Darlene at her website, Twitter, and Facebook.

Check out EMBATTLED at Amazon for your Kindle, Smashwords for your other E-Readers, and GoodReads.

0 comments: